To use library services, you must register (agree to the terms and conditions of library services). Students and staff register online; the public must come directly to the library to register (by prior telephone or e-mail agreement).
Registration is free for active students and employees borrowing books is with ISIC, ITIC or employee card). Graduates can purchase an Alumni card and use of library services is then also free of charge. For the public, the registration fee is 300 CZK at the time of registration, then 200 CZK each year thereafter.
|Students and employees
|Graduates (Alumni card holders)
|300 CZK/year – first registration
200 CZK/year – renewal of registration
100 CZK – issue of a replacement licence
|Loans (checked-out of the library)
|max. of 30 (students) and 50 (employees) items at a time
|max. of 10 items at a time
|max. of 10 items at a time
|In-house use (in the library)
|Access to Wi-Fi in the library
|Access to the Internet / e-resources from a library computer
|Printing, copying, scanning
1 Large scanners can be used for scanning and are free of charge.
If you have registered online (student, PhD student, employee) your registration is valid immediately for all faculty libraries at the university. If you have registered in person (graduate, public), you must visit that library in person before borrowing from another faculty for the first time. After logging into your catalogue profile, you will see which libraries you are registered for.
If you interrupt your studies or do not immediately start the study programme following your completed degree programme, the registration will expire and it will be necessary to renew it in person when you resume your studies. You can register as "Public" or, if you have successfully completed at least a Bachelor's degree, you can arrange for a Alumni card. Upon returning to your studies, your "Student" status will be restored, but you must come in person to the library and have your registration updated before your first borrowing.
Registration in the library will expire as soon as you successfully complete / withdraw from your studies. If you wish to continue to borrow books, use computers and other services tied to your registration, you must renew your registration after fulfilling one of the conditions:
- If you are a MU graduate, get an Alumni Card. Please note that it is not issued by the library. Bring it with you when you come to register.
- If you have completed your studies unsuccessfully but still want to use the library services, register directly with us as a "Public". The fee is 300 CZK/year for initial registration and 200 CZK/year for renewal.
- Anyone can also become a member of the Masaryk University Alumni and Friends Association. After paying the membership fee you can come to the library to register.
If you are not a student, graduate, or university staff member, you can:
- use the study areas and assistance of librarians in the library building,
- study books and journals within the library premises,
- order books from the closed stacks in person at the circulation desk for reference use,
- browse the catalogue on dedicated computers,
- scan without logging in on special book scanners.
It is not possible to use computers with an Internet connection without registration. Wi-Fi is only accessible via the Eduroam network if you already have access to it.